CRYSTAL BLUE PERSUASION - Tommy James and the Shondells (MY VIDEOS)

So I was watching The Expendables 2 the other day (I know, I'm really behind on my movies), and I was so excited to see all my old favs once again all together. And I mean really excited.

It was like, "Oh my God, look at Sly! Oooh boy, there's Jason whatcha-ma-call-him.. Statham! That's Jason Statham! Look how good he still looks! Hey that's Terry Crews. He hasn't changed a bit! Oh my God! There's my handsome fella - Lundgren, that's Dolph Lundgren. Oh my God! Bruce Willis is in it too?? That's great! Hey! It's Arnie!! I can't believe this!... and Jean-Claude Van Damme! Too bad he's evil in this movie. I love Van Damme.. OH. MY GAWD. Look at Chuck Norris. He looks so different. I love Chuck Norris. He's great!"

And on and on it went until at one point my husband 'threaten' to shut the movie off, if I didn't calm down.

I'm just so sick and tired of all the UNNECESSARY killings happening all over the world and just wanted to watch a good ol' fashion movie where the GOOD GUYS WIN!

Anyways, there were some awesome classics played throughout the movie some of which included  "The Wanderer" by Dion DiMucci, "Mustang Sally" by Mack Rice, Groovin'" and "Beautiful Morning" by The Young Rascals, "Rip It Up" by Little Richard, "I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth, and one of my all time favs (which also inspired me to create the lyrical video) -  "Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James & the Shondells"...






Now after doing some quick research, SongFacts interviewed Tommy James and as he explained about the song:

"'Crystal Blue' was interesting. First of all, I was becoming a Christian at that time, and we never thought a thing about it. We never thought that doing something semi-religious was any big deal. We didn't think of it as being politically incorrect or anything like that. We just did what felt right. I wrote 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' with Eddie Gray and Mike Vale. Eddie came up with the little guitar riff, and Mike and I did the lyrics. And it just felt very right as a sort of semi-religious poetic song, but it turned out to be one of the hardest records I've ever made."

When SongFacts asked James if "Crystal Blue" is a reference to the Book of Revelation, he replied: "Yes, it is. It's out of the Bible. The imagery was right out of Chapter 19 of the Book of Revelation, about the lake of crystal, and just what John sees. The imagery was just right there. 'Crystal blue persuasion,' although those words aren't used together, it was what the image meant to me."

The lyrics, "It's a new vibration," are about James becoming Christian, but many listeners had their own interpretation. He explained: "Of course, everybody thinks if they don't understand what you're talking about it must be about drugs. But it wasn't. We were going through a real interesting time back then, and a very wonderful time. Everybody in the band, by the way, became Christian. And we're very proud of it. And 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' was sort of our way of saying that in a kind of pop record way."


Christian or not, religious or otherwise, it should always be about just doing the right thing...

1 comment: